How to Fight PCOS Naturally:
- Cut out junk food, processed food, and added sugars. This is a toughie, but essential in managing PCOS. Why? Carbohydrates and sugar affect your hormone levels and cause them to become imbalanced. Imbalanced hormones = no ovulation. No ovulation = No babies. Kabish? For more information on PCOS diet tips, click here.
- Avoid dairy. Say no to the mac and cheese. Put down the Ben and Jerry’s. Skip out on the Lasagna and eat your cereal with Almond Milk. Why? Studies have shown dairy affects PCOS. For instance, Cows are given genetically engineered growth hormones to increase milk production. These hormones are affecting YOUR hormones. For more information, please read the article, “Don’t Be a Dairy Queen” by PCOS Diva by clicking here.
- Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day. Why? Women who have been diagnosed with PCOS need to keep their blood sugar steady and avoid lows that come from skipping meals or waiting hours between them. It is important to eat healthy snacks in between breakfast, lunch and dinner and not become what I call “hangry”. Hungry + angry + Hangry. Getting grumpy from hunger is caused by low blood sugar and this will hurt your efforts in controlling PCOS.
- Add more regular exercise in order to increase your metabolism.
- Get more Vitamin D. Studies have shown women who are diagnosed with PCOS are low in Vitamin D. For more information on Vitamin D and PCOS, click here.
- Eat a wide range of fruits, vegetables, and low-fat protein such as chicken, fish, and beans.
- Balance your blood sugar by limiting carbohydrate intake. It’s not wise to cut out all carbs, as that can lower serotonin levels and leave you feeling depressed.
- Lose weight. Studies show that losing just 10 percent of your body weight can result in normal ovulation in women with PCOS.
- Practice stress management. Stress stimulates the production of more hormones, including testosterone, which can make PCOS worse. (Relax in a bubble bath with lavender oil, take walks in the early morning or later in the evening to clear your mind, add vitamin B6 as it aids in the production of serotonin which helps prevent mood swings and anxiety, eliminate sugar and caffine as it can raise the heart rate thus causing anxiety feelings, meditate, pray, and/or write in a journal)